The Southern Alberta Junior Hockey League was a short-lived Junior A league, playing just two seasons. It formed in 1946-47 with just three teams: the Lethbridge Native Sons, Drumheller Miners, and Calgary Buffaloes.
The league was scheduled to expand to be a five-team circuit in 1947-48 with the addition of the Medicine Hat Tigers and the Bellevue Lions, however Drumheller dropped out of the league due to delays in the construction of their artificial ice rink.
The league ceased to exist when its four teams teamed up with two Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League teams to form the Western Canada Junior Hockey League in 1948-49. Although the WCJHL was a new organization, its teams played for the championship trophy that was used for the Southern Alberta Junior Hockey League.