PDA

View Full Version : Al MacInnis

huddy222
June 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
After seeing Al MacInnis for three days, he finally broke down and reluctantly signed 1 autograph each for all five of us hounds after turning us down constantly. We would see him walking in and out all day and although he had all the time in the world, he just didn't want to do it. Belive me, we were all very polite, did not follow him and did not say anything to him other than ask for an autograph. I got a Pro-Set card autographed and I was very happy because MacInnis has always been one of my favourites. He looked miserable while doing it. It was suprising because it was a great day, great weather and every other player was in a great mood except for him.

I asked him if I could take a picture with him while he was standing outside for 20 mins doing absolutely nothing and he told me "NO"! Two minutes later another guy asked him if he could take a picture with him and he took it without hesitation. I then asked him again for the picture again, thinking that he was doing it now and he told me to get lost. I guess he picks and chooses who likes by how they look.

What a jerk! I grew up loving the guy, but now I can't stand him! While he was telling me to get lost he waved his hand in my face like I was a dirtbag. How disrespectful is that? We are both adults, adults don't do that to other adults, NHL star or not. I guess sometimes when you meet your heroes they turn up to be not what you hoped that they would be. He obviously hates autograph collectors and maybe he was concerned that I was going to sell the autographed card for a whole $2 and needed a picture to go along with it! I felt like telling him that I'm a Mechanical Engineer who makes a great living, do you really think I come out here because I need to sell your autograph so I can survive?

Now I know why all of the letters I've sent him over the years have never been sent back. He's a typical former player who belives that everyone is getting rich off of him. How wrong could he be. I would say... Save your stamps on this joker!

tourze
June 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Hey Huddy,
I guess he likes me though, I just got his autograph back from the mail the othr day. He signed 2 cards for me, and it came back in about a week! I still love the guy!

huddy222
June 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
I can never figure you guys out. For years everyone posts success' from MacInnis, I have sent to him several times right after I read about them and have still never received one back. From my experiences, he's a bird!

cherubichomer
June 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hey Huddy222, I'll have to tell you my story about when Gretzky dropped an F-bomb on me, a five-year old fan, and this kid's father some time. He's a great guy but he's got a mean streak, too. But he's so media savy (not to mention a National hero) you rarely ever hear anything about his bad behaviour.

Look, a lot of athletes get jaded, especially the good ones. They quickly get tired of their fame and notoriety. They soon lose the knowledge that they should probably feel euphoric when someone requests an autograph or wants to spend some time with them just because they're good at playing a game. However, the fame thing becomes old and a complacency settles in and the true nature of their personality comes out. It's the "Rookie versus Veteran" Syndrome. Rookies soak up all the attention; Veterans shy away from it.

Having said this, I've never had a problem with Al MacInnis. He signed for me anytime I asked him to, even after playoff game loses, but I can still sympathize. All I have to do is reflect on the time when Jim Paek - Korean hockey sensation (?), Stanley Cup winner with the Pittsburgh Penguins, 3 season and out defenseman - kept saying no to me because I was a f'ing hound that didn't have a life. I guess, with his two Stanley Cup rings, he was bigger than to have to sign autographs for me and the two other kids outside the Coliseum. I don't know where he is now, nor do I really care, but I bet he'd do anything for someone - anyone - to come up to him now and ask him for his signature. He did lead the Pens to Cup, you know.

ed

huddy222
June 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
I totally get the Gretzky thing, I grew up worshipping the guy. After I started to hound him I realized that he wasn't exactly how I always saw him on TV. He isn't terriable, but I'd say that he's pretty much 50/50 and not the 100 you imagine him to be. One time at his restaurant, a kid asked him for an autograph and he said not right now. The kid then said "you promised me before" and then he yelled out, "here's my promise, I'm not signing anything"! I was kind of caught off guard because I never imagined 99 to have that sort of mean streak. You never see that when the camera's are on. lol

FALCON
June 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Man that sucks!! I can somewhat understand when a guy like Gretzky or Lemieux could get tired of being hounded due to their true superstar status. But Big Al was a great palyer in his day, which has since past but I would not say he was one of the best to play!! I offen wondered how these guiys would feel if a player acted like that towards their own son or daughter?? I still to this day can not believe that over the course of 4 or 5 years I could never get JIM KORN (of all people) to sign an autograph for me??? Or the fact that Billy Smith would not sign for me in person because he was in Philadelphia and he didn't like Philly fans and actually had the guts to say that to me??
Some guys are complete A-Holes and it makes it worse when it is a no namer like Jim Paek or Jim Korn. I guess that is the down side of collecting and it sucks but at times it is difficult to to maintain your composure. I also had a run in while getting an in person autograph with Ron Hextall at the Flyers practice arena about 10 years ago. He gave me a bag of crap about signing a few cards and I was the only person there, he asked me or more like accused me of selling his cards. My respone to him was, "if I had to depend on your $2.00 autographed card feeding my family we would have starved by now" so don't sign if you don't want to! I also offered to show him my collection at my home that was about 5 min. from the arena in person, which he declined and he actually seemed shocked that I had stood up to him and seemed to change his attitude all of the sudden..
Sorry about your run in with Al, always liked him but soundes like a real jerk!!

tourze
June 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Hey Falcon, I think you're lucky ron hextall didn't have a hockey stick with him!!

FALCON
June 4th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Maybe so, but I think he was surprised someone actually fired back at him??
I guess since most are put them on a higher level it seemed to bring him back to earth for a few seconds.. Sometimes I just get so damm tired of hearing, look how old that guy is, he must be selling his stuff!! I have been collecting for over 20 years and have never sold a damm thing and hope to pass it all down to my son who will hopefully enjoy the hobby like I have. I am going to get a t shirt made up to wear when I go autograph hunting and the front is going to say in BIG letters... I DON"T SELL MY AUTOGRAPHS!!! lol
Thanks to everyone on here sharing their stories!!!!

TheFan
June 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hey guys,
Do you mind if I weigh in? The way I feel about it is that we, the fans, are the ones driving the sport and paying the contracts. The players should be walking up and down every isle in the arena shaking hands and signing autographs ...
but I do understand that players get bombarded daily. I have seen it first hand. As a player you want to be there for fans, and not people who are making money off of you. Personally, I think that signed items should have no sale value at all. I don't think that anyone should make money off of another person's signature. Especially guys who line up every day to get autographs and then post them on Ebay. I think it's ruining the relationship between players and fans. It would turn me off completely as an athlete. I understand them snapping on people. The one cost to fame is your privacy, and I don't think that should be. If you are standing there for an autograph and the player comes over to sign, that's one thing, but never hound them or approach them out in public. It would most likely ruin their day. I have met Gretzky a few times along with his father, and they are the nicest people in the world, but they do miss the simple things and when they are interupted, they do get upset. I have seen that too. I don't blame them in the least. I am sure it could be much worse. Whatever they want to give, be gratefull.

FALCON
June 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM
The one cost to fame is your privacy, and I don't think that should be. If you are standing there for an autograph and the player comes over to sign, that's one thing, but never hound them or approach them out in public. It would most likely ruin their day.
I agree with your post but this part lost me??? You are right that is the cost of fame and partly why they make more in 1 year than most of us in an entire lifetime! I don't understand your part about approaching them in public? Where else would you try and get an autograph. And let me say I DO NOT by any means mean going to or calling a players hotel room or home. But at the arena after or before a game of at the practice rink should not be a problem?? My feeling is this: ask 1 time in a polite manner and that means asking PLEASE, if that doesn't work write if off as a loss and call it quits.
I think the thing about the NHL players that bothers me the most is how after the strike/lockout many players were heard saying publicly "we have to give back to the fans who support us" including Roenick. But as soon as they went back to work, most went back to the no autograph policy?
Just a thought....

TheFan
June 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Sorry, You are right about aproaching a player in public.
I meant at restaurants, movie theatres, places where their time would be inturupted and ruined by the number of people that would approach them once the word got out. I have seen players having to leave their seats at hockey games as they can't even watch it with everyone passing them things to sign. Bobby Orr being the one I saw. If you see a player on the street or at the mall, whatever, I am sure it wouldn't bother them to stop for a second as their "cover" wouldn't be blown to everyone else. I don't mean to harp, and I am sure that 80% of the collectors abide by some sort of code of conduct, but it's the 20% that ruins it for everyone. Sooner than later, I bet we see all teams moving to presigned post cards so their players aren't bothered by an overabundance of fan mail.

FALCON
June 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I got waht you mean. I agree with you on those points for sure. I just get mad when I see posts like the recent one about Mark Howe charging for autographs, I don't have a problem with the fact he is donating the money to a good cause I agree 100% with that, but the notion that he and so many ex-players are getting about selling the autographs. Check ebay and see what a Mark Howe autographed card is selling for, I saw at least 5 of them for less that 5.00 bucks!! It just makes me laugh!! Again if everyone who got autographs had to survive off of selling 5.00 autographed cards for a living we would all starve. And I am sure there are some exceptions to that but for the most part I just don't see why these guys are getting so worked up and thinking everyone is out to screw them out of a few dollars on ebay?? Just a few thoughts and I hope everyone on here keeps collecting for the fun and that the hobby remains alive in the future!! Good luck everyone..

FlamesFan
June 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I am on the fence about sending more cards to Al MacInnis. I have once already, and maybe I just sent one card too many, but after hearing the back and forth stories of him signing and not signing, I'm not sure if it's worth wasting the time and the cards to not get a response again. However, it would be great to get one personally from him if I DID catch him on a GOOD day... ? Is 3 cards too many? Or should I stick to 1 or 2?

cherubichomer
June 7th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I am on the fence about sending more cards to Al MacInnis. I have once already, and maybe I just sent one card too many, but after hearing the back and forth stories of him signing and not signing, I'm not sure if it's worth wasting the time and the cards to not get a response again. However, it would be great to get one personally from him if I DID catch him on a GOOD day... ? Is 3 cards too many? Or should I stick to 1 or 2?

I posted him once (that's British for "sent mail" and not any other naughty thing you might be thinking) and had success. I think he's signing right now.
ed

cherubichomer
June 7th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I got waht you mean. I agree with you on those points for sure. I just get mad when I see posts like the recent one about Mark Howe charging for autographs, I don't have a problem with the fact he is donating the money to a good cause I agree 100% with that, but the notion that he and so many ex-players are getting about selling the autographs. Check ebay and see what a Mark Howe autographed card is selling for, I saw at least 5 of them for less that 5.00 bucks!! It just makes me laugh!! Again if everyone who got autographs had to survive off of selling 5.00 autographed cards for a living we would all starve. And I am sure there are some exceptions to that but for the most part I just don't see why these guys are getting so worked up and thinking everyone is out to screw them out of a few dollars on ebay?? Just a few thoughts and I hope everyone on here keeps collecting for the fun and that the hobby remains alive in the future!! Good luck everyone..
You're reading my mind, brother! I was actually thinking about that same thing and was considering writing him a letter about how his fee isn't condusive to removing the "resellers" from the "loyal fan" as the price isn't realistically proportional to his actual star power. But I chickened out because I thought he might send his dad over to beat me up.
ed

FALCON
June 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Well look at it this way, at least your getting your ass kicked by a hall of famer!! LOL

AHLcollector
June 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Jim Paek!!! So funny to read someone making fun of him. He was one of the toughest guys to get on those penguins teams. I remember one night going for the penguins back in the early 90's, Bryan Trottier signed 18 cards for me, Martin Straka did 4, I got Jagr on 1 and Rick Tocchet on 1. Then when I saw Paek he had a huge attitude problem. I asked him and he personalized a card! The funny thing is, he's a coach now with Grand Rapids, I haven't seen him with them yet but I've heard he'll sign anything you give him! Peter Ing was another guy who always had a huge attitude and would often refuse.

AHLcollector
June 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I got Al at the draft last week, he was walking up the street with the blues staff, after I got Al on 1 I asked Mike Anotonovich who was walking next to him, who said "Sure!" and seemed surprised I had his cards. Al stopped walking and looked at the cards. Then he asked me "How much do you want for one of those?" I said, "I'll give you one if you sign a couple more cards for me," half expecting him to tell me to go f**k myself, but he responded "You got a deal!" I handed him two more cards and he signed both of them with a beautiful signature and his number. I owe Mike for those!

cherubichomer
June 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I got Al at the draft last week, he was walking up the street with the blues staff, after I got Al on 1 I asked Mike Anotonovich who was walking next to him, who said "Sure!" and seemed surprised I had his cards. Al stopped walking and looked at the cards. Then he asked me "How much do you want for one of those?" I said, "I'll give you one if you sign a couple more cards for me," half expecting him to tell me to go f**k myself, but he responded "You got a deal!" I handed him two more cards and he signed both of them with a beautiful signature and his number. I owe Mike for those!

That's a great story. It'd be better, though, if Al turned to Mike and asked him to sign the card and Mike told him to go screw himself.

ed

FALCON
June 29th, 2007, 12:21 AM
That is awesome!!!

mangodance
July 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM

I got him at draft as well. He was waiting for a cab...leaving for the final time. He seemed pained when I asked. He signed for 3 of us...we were the only ones there. He never said anything, but didn't like doing it...that part was obvious.

Additionally, there were a number of people at draft that were absolutely FANTASTIC...chatty, great sigs, etc.

Another one that seems to absolutely hate giving autographs is Joe Mullen...however, he will sign one...and every one I saw done was a great sig. So I'll take my one good sig for a handful of scribbles any day. I just wish folks who hate signing wouldn't act like I'm some lower life form. Pardon me for loving hockey and likeing players.

FlamesFan
July 20th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Okay, I finally broke down and sent the high and mighty HOFer Al MacInnis another package... we'll see if he signs my cards, or keeps em/tosses them again... I'll advise.

BigBear1888
July 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I have met Joe Mullen numerous times over the years in Pittsburgh and even once when he coached the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins. It seems like he is only real happy to sign Penguins cards, I have seen people ask him to sign Blues, Flames, and Bruins cards and he will usually sign one or two at the most but I have seen him sign hundreds of Penguins cards. He is an assistant coach on the Philly Phantoms AHL team under former Pen and Flyer Kjell Samuelsson, who has always been a great signer.
I have heard that current Penguins Brooks Orpik and Ryan Malone are
hssaoles about signing too. Most Penguins are great about signing, especially older Pens like Kevin Stevens, Bryan Trottier (only one card per ttm), Phil Bourue (awesome sig), Bob Errey, Wendell Young, Jeff Daniels, Gord Dineen, Troy Loney, Shawn McEachern, Mike Needham, Jay Caulfield (also goalie Brad Tolliver in movie Sudden Death, he threatens Jean-Claude Van Damme), Martin Straka, Mike Stapleton, Marty Mcsorley (awesome sig), Jock Callander, Matt Murley, and Sebastien Caron (won Cup with Ducks)
The only masshole that I know of is Tom Barrasso from the Pens, that guy has such a big ego that it almost causes cancer. Former Pen Matt Murley is one of the best he signed for everyone and it looked as if he enjoyed it, Marc-Andre Fleury is happy signer too!
I love the macInnis Antonvich story, especailly if Antonovich would tell Macinnis to go Fcuk himself.
Another funny story I heard is from former Penguin Marc Bergevin, he said that when he played with the Blues, Kelll Chase had wanted to fight Red Wing Shawn Burr and they bumped and hit all game, but Burr wouldn't fight and in the middle of the 3rd period Chase yelled at Burr " I don't care where I see you, even if its in a bar I am going to beat the "poop" out of you!" But Burr just chuckled and said that may be tough to do since He (Burr) doesn't hang out at gay bars. I thought that was funny.

crosbyfan
July 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I belive Big Al is in Cape Breton for the summer, so prob wouldnt get him in St louis.

FALCON
July 21st, 2007, 12:40 AM
I met Mullen in person in the late 80's several times and he was fine, he was great thru the mail. At the end of this season I met him after a Phantoms game and I was the only person there. I put about 4 different cards in front of him and he only signed 1 and seemed to be going out if his way?? I don't get it, he seems to be great thru the mail and not that willing in person??

FlamesFan
July 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
I sent Mullen a package in December, I believe and got it back just 3 weeks later. I only sent him Flames cards and he signed all of them beautifully. I was very impressed. I think I sent him 4-5... but again, that was a while back now, so maybe all the requests are started to get on his nerves a bit.

As for MacInnis being out of town... DANG IT! I hope they'll at least return to sender or keep it somewhere for him.