PDA

View Full Version : Oh those smudges!

polarmist04
December 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Don't you hate it when you open up an envelope only to find a smeared or smudged autograph?
Doesn't seem to happen often luckily.
Sometimes these guys use the sharpie and put the sleeve back on the card too soon and that's what you get.
"Still got his graph for the collection" is all I say to myself.

1990score
December 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
that is why I never send the sleeve and I never have a smudge..the sharpie is dry by the time they put the card in the envelope and the card doesn't get too damaged through the mail...

24cups
December 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Don't you hate it when you open up an envelope only to find a smeared or smudged autograph?
Doesn't seem to happen often luckily.
Sometimes these guys use the sharpie and put the sleeve back on the card too soon and that's what you get.
"Still got his graph for the collection" is all I say to myself.
================================================== =================
I know what you mean....ya, don't send the sleeve and try and rub the card either with your finger or use a J-cloth...the new cards have that film on them and they always smear the autograph...the J-cloth really works well and doesn't wreck the card.....an NHL goalie told me that one time..."did ya rub it...ya got ta rub it man" was his quote!! LOL All the best.

njduquette
December 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
i use a polymer eraser on glossy cards, it usually works pretty well. i've noticed i sometimes get smudges when i send multiple cards. they must sign them and stack them right away, you can see the smudge on the back of the card that was sitting on top of it. none of them have been ruined and it has only happened a couple times

polarmist04
December 16th, 2010, 10:43 PM
This is what I like about this forum.
Put a post up and folks come in with info, ideas answers and suggestions.
Yes, I've known about preping the glossy cards with white erasers for years now, never forget to do that.
You really think it's fine just putting a "naked" card, no sleeve or top loader in the envelope?

1990score
December 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I once sent a card to an old-timer with the sleeve..and he signed the sleeve instead of the card..this was the last time I ever sent the sleeve..does the card get a little "touched" during the shipping ya..the corners might get dinged, etc..but we arent in the collecting hobby of graded cards..its more about the graph than the condition to me..so I would rather have a beatiful signature without a smudge and the card a little dinged..than a players fingerprint on the graph...

24cups
December 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
This is what I like about this forum.
Put a post up and folks come in with info, ideas answers and suggestions.
Yes, I've known about preping the glossy cards with white erasers for years now, never forget to do that.
You really think it's fine just putting a "naked" card, no sleeve or top loader in the envelope?

Ya, the only time I have had a problem was when I sent them with a sleeve....I never send a sleeve anymore.....

polarmist04
December 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Good point 1990Score.
We are autograph collectors after all.
The sleeves will be gone!
Thanks for the input all.

jtyson13
December 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
baby powder works best on glossies

CaptPantalones
December 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
No matter what the card, ALWAYS use an eraser or something to take the gloss off of the card.

But I learned from someone that if you dont feel like rubbing cards, use a silver sharpie

dodgerdon
December 17th, 2010, 08:30 AM
No matter what the card, ALWAYS use an eraser or something to take the gloss off of the card.

But I learned from someone that if you dont feel like rubbing cards, use a silver sharpie

Are you refering to my "lazy" son?? LOL!!

uncleguyguy
December 17th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I cut some cardboard from a cereal box to line the return envelope. This protects the card very well. I know it illegal, but the postal express envelopes are perfect to cut a envelope liner from.

njduquette
December 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
i was told that if you use top loaders they will sometimes get stuck in the machines at the post office and your mail will be ruined/lost. i stopped using top loaders and dont use sleeves. havent had anything come back damaged yet

jtbrud9
December 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Is doesnt really help for TTM graphs, but if your doing any IP graphing and are getting cards signed use Staedtler markers they dont smudge and you dont need to take the gloss off any of the cards. They will write over it and not come off.

CaptPantalones
December 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Are you refering to my "lazy" son?? LOL!!

haha i never said lazy Don

HartfordNoWhalers
December 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I have always used erasers on the cards and have only minor smudging.. I have only **knock on wood** received one card with any damage. Phil Housley had a bent edge.