PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Bust- Worst Draft Pick

Portuguese_Hockey_Rules
July 16th, 2004, 02:27 PM
I'm interested to know who most feel was the the biggest bust or worst Draft Pick. For biggest bust I choose Doug Wickenheiser (1st overall, Montreal 1980) and worst draft pick was Tom Glavine (The same person as the Baseball Star) who was taken by the LA Kings 69th overall in the 1984 draft, ahead of Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille. Now your turn to post.

I would like to change the worst pick ever to Taro Tsujimoto of the Tokyo Kanatas, taken #183 in the 1974 entry draft by the Buffalo Sabers. Tsujimoto was a waiter at a Japanese restaurant, and the word Kanata means Saber in Japanese. This pick was made by Buffalo GM Punch Imlach to spicen up the draft, which was being held over telephone in secret, so the WHA wouldn't know who got drafted.

Hab01
July 16th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Curtis Leschyshyn. He was drafted #3 back in 1988. He was nothing more than an average defenceman. Unfortnuately, they couldn't get Modano.

jb4725
July 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Wickhaniser was a very good player, it was just a bad team for a young guy to be picked first by. If you look at Wick's season before being drafted, you'll see was he was taken so high.
I think Jason Bonsignore was the biggest bust. He just didn't care untill it was too late.
JB

Unregistered
July 17th, 2004, 11:35 PM
minnesota taking brian lawton 1st overall in1983.
could have had pat lofontaine 3rd or steve yzerman 4th.

quebec made 2 bad picks that year with leschiyhyn 3rd and dan dore 5th they could have had roenick 8th brind'amour 9th or selanne 10th.

Unregistered
July 18th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I don't think it's a bad choice because he wasn't a bad hockey player. He just choose to be a baseball player (he was drafted the same year) for some reason.

Unregistered
July 18th, 2004, 10:04 PM
tom glavine was voted best hockey player in massachusetts his senior year of hockey.

Habnadien
July 19th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Well I guess names like Daigle and Stefan come to mind when we talk about busts, although both are starting to come around a bit. Since I'm a Habs fan I'm still really upset that Les Boys took Eric Chouinard over Simon Gagne. I remember both being seen as equal before the draft, but with Chouinard having better size. I guess we found out who the better pick actually was. Shitty.

GrasValley
July 20th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Pat Falloon 2nd overall in 1991
The Sharks could have had Forseberg and many other huge names, but oh well.

Unregistered
July 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Well lawton was decent but didn't live up to hype. many picks in the 60's (first oveall too) didn't even play a game!
look it up in the record books!

Unregistered
July 29th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Jamie Pushor was brutle in Junior, Brutle in the show, and Brutle in pick up hockey. I don't know what teams ever saw in him. Hell everytime he touched the puck in junior he got booed. And he got beat up every night. What they saw who knows!!

Unregistered
July 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Quebec for drafting lIndro's even when he made it public hatr he would not play their. Even though they still recieved soem quality players for the pillow head. Right hte and thier they should of realized this kid has an attitude! who wants that kind of crap on a team, hell what has mush head done latey besides get rich for scoring less tha 10 goals. I heard the Be a PLayer hockey show is lookin for brother combo to do the show.

Portuguese_Hockey_Rules
July 29th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Okay, just to get something clear. In the 1960's a team could only draft a player if they sponsored that player. So in a way, they were just taking a player they had claimed earlier. Also, the Montreal Canadiens had exclusive rights over French Canadians, which is why many of their high picks were French Canadian. It was just picking a player you thought was ready to play professionaly, and still, most players were undrafted. Sort of like recruiting for the NCAA.

Unregistered
July 30th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Greg Joly. Chosen #1 overall by the Caps in 1974. They called him "the next Bobby Orr".