PDA

View Full Version : Wha

Habnadien
July 19th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Okay I'm sure many of us know about the WHA draft that happened July 17. Now it's time for us to voice our opinions on the drafted players and the WHA as a whole. Personally I'm excited since there may well be an NHL lockout for awhile. I know I couldn't live without hockey. I realize that the marque players like Thorton, Heatly, Kovalchuk, Bertuzzi, etc. probably won't be signed by any WHA teams, but those struggling AHL players could finally emerge. Or it could be a huge bust. Who knows? Does anyone know if they are going to have the instigating rule? I really hate that rule with a passion. They are already smart enough to get rid of touch icing.
Go Nordiks Go!!!

whas
July 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM
So far a lot of ppl around Canada is laughing at that league, but i noticed that those who are laughing are those who have an NHL team in their town.

They think of the WHA as a clown immature league so far.

Personnaly i see it as neutral, the junior draft was fine with me but the free agents draft was a joke.

Goalie88
July 20th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Well, as a hockey fan, any hockey is better than no hockey...
i would love to see the WHA in action...
there's no way i can't take my kids to see a real NHL game here in Toronto...(because of cost and the lack of tix..)

as far as the draft is concerned, it's hard to tell who will end up signing.....there are too many ifs & buts at the moment;

Goalie88

Portuguese_Hockey_Rules
July 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM
Struggling AHL players don't need to sign with WHA teams, the can go to Europe, or sign with the Bargain Shopping Minnesota Wild. They're willing to take any team player for $1 million or less, and Lemaire can make the look good. Need an example? Richard Park dwelled in the minors untill he became a member of the Wild and showed of his offensive potential and Wes Walz was an NHL reject so he played in Switzerland for five years, then signed with the Wild and became a legitimate Selke candidate. The only reason for an AHLer to sign with a WHA team would be if they get no offers from NHL franchises and can't speak the language of any decent European League. Plus, I see most of the WHAers who excell in the WHA but weren't stars in the NHL sign with NHL teams like CFLers signing with NFL teams; as third liners or backups, especially with goalies, NOT like Japanese Baseball stars signing with MLB teams and being expected to contribute immediately.

Unregistered
July 28th, 2004, 01:11 PM
well some people say wha stands for when hull arrived (bobbby hull starting the winnipeg jets.GO JETS GO). maybe it would make his father bobby happy if brett joinded (and brought his large ego the create some publicity)

Unregistered
August 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Not looking good as of yet... with just 2 teams having named GM's and one naming a coach... teams like Toronto may have to play outdoors on the harbour as they are shut out of the CNE arena with the city's attempt to lure the St John's Maple Leafs there NEXT season (2005/2006)... 2 Toronto Maple Leafs teams on the ice...?
This coming week is supposed to be crunch week for many teams naming staff etc.... but still no players signed anywhere altho Ed Belfour in part ownership capacity could don his pads for Dallas...

Unregistered
August 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM
I personaly cannot see it happening in this short of time. + there is no team in Winnipeg. What is wrong with this picture. (New downtown arena) www.jetsowner.com...........By the way, Goalie88 did you get your photos yet?