Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Success

Ververgaert and Schmautz

Got 2 more today. Dennis Ververgaert signed 3/3 with a purple sharpie in 11 days while Bobby Schmautz signed 3/3 with a black Sharpie and included an extra personalized 4x6 photo. While Ververgaert's signature was a scrunched bunch of letters, Schmautz's was a beautifully legible sig. Both of their addresses have appeared in numerous postings over the last several months.

Dean Talafous

Got Dean Talafous yesterday on 5/5 (I told him to keep what he wanted but he just signed them all anyway). It took about 10 days and he signed in a black Sharpie. The signatures look about average. Try him at 2418 Foxglove Circle, Hudson, WI 54016.

You guys write to the biggest stiffs! Why waste your stamps, what's the point?

Why?

I can't speak for everyone but I write the "biggest stiffs" because they respond and I can be pretty well assured that they aren't being ghost-signed, auto-penned, or stamped. They also take the time to send extra photos, letters, ticket stubs, etc. They appreciate the fans that appreciate them. They don't charge fees nor require donations. Best of all, they have readable signatures. I can't stand getting the new guys because all they do is initial your card/photo with some unintelligible scrawl. Someone please explain John Druce's signature to me. Has anyone ever gotten Stu Grimson? I'll be damned if this putz, whose career was built on fighting and very little defense or offense, didn't sign his cards by printing STU G. Hell, any 5 year old could have done that. How about Tony Amonte?! His signature is TAt. It sucks. Ever write Peter Bondra, Mike Vernon, or Theo Fleury only to get that stupid ass stamp on your cards? I'm still not convinced that my Brett Hull isn't an auto-pen. That's the true waste of stamps. Your newer superstars have crappy sigs, are temperamental signers at best, and don't appreciate the fans who faithfully follow their careers and wear their sweaters. Give me Howie Hughes, Gene Ubriaco, Blake Dunlop, and Syl Apps, Jr. any time.

Well said! One of my all time faves if from Daryl Sly who must have signed my card on his death bed. He died before the card got back to me. Not a hockey great but a great hockey man who appreciated what he did and had!

Right On!

Tarantulaman! Preach on brother! I agree with you 110%! Some of my best autograph memories are from players like Chris Tamer, Andy Chiodo, Greg Hawgood, Mike Stapleton, Randy Hillier, Randy Velischek, Gordie Roberts, and Phil Bourque. Players such as these truly appreciate their fans, each one of these players returned my cards signed but some added extra cards or even a great Stanley Cup 8x10 like Phil Bourque (The Ol'29er). But what is trully great is that these men actually took the time to sit down and answer my questions and write a nice personal letter expressing their appreciation for my being their fan and for remembering them after the retired (Hawgood & Velischek). People have got to realized if it weren't for players such as these players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, etc would never lift the Stanley Cup. In 1991 against the Devils the Penguins almost lost and would have been out of the playoffs if not for a certain back-up goalie that made a HUGE save on the Devils Peter Stastny, do you know who that goalie was? It wasn't Barrasso, it was a stiff. The one player I truly liked that was nice enough to sign for me just before his death was Gump Worsley, I go the card back signed in the mail, the day he passed. Great man. Have a nice day friends!

Tarantulaman, midnightoyl, BigBear1888: You are soooo right!! I also agree 100% with you. Keep on writing to those stiffs, because I like to see the success addys. I live in Germany and it is relativley expensive for me to get american/canadien stamps for the sase and the german mail is also very expensive to north america. this is why i like to write to these "stiffs", because they really care about their fans. it is always nice to get autos from these players in the mail, as i now then that the money was not wasted on stamped autos or non-responses. really i also like "not these hockey greats but great hockey men"!!!

I can't agree with you guys any more. My best autograph moment came not with Sidney Crosby or anyone big, but Randy Velischek (he was mentioned above). I sent him a nice letter last year about how I miss the Nordiques and their rivalry with the Canadiens (I live in Montreal). He sent me back my 2 cards signed and a week later, he sent a package with about 12 other autographed cards. Made my day and a fan of his for life!

You guys are right on!!!!

Huddy222 does not like the stiffs because there is no money in it,maybe???
    What person who doesn't love the game would buy a stiff autograph.They all want Gretzky,Lemeuix,Crosby....etc...etc... That's where the $$$ at.

My alltime favorite are the stiffs like Tracy Pratt-send his own 8x10,Henry Boucha-send his own stats sheets & 8x10, there are many more that have sent there own extra stuff being 8x10,liturature,team issued postcards on top of signing the cards I have sent..

BJT72

I hound a lot in both person and in the mail. I don't mind getting the stiffs in person, but stamps are expensive. Although I've sent to a lot of stiffs in pursuit of my 87-88 OPC set.

good to hear from you

Huddy222,
    I'm glad you're back and you posted. You stoked quite a fire there and I'm glad to see from the other responses that I'm not alone in my quest for the common hockey man. I wish you continued successes in your pursuits both TTM and in person. Good luck completing that set--those can be challenging. Besides hockey, I also collect baseball, football, and Olympic sigs. I'm currently trying to complete a signed 1970 Topps baseball card set. So far, I've got about 500 of the 720 cards signed with some cards requiring multiple sigs. I've been working that one for nearly 10 years now so I know the time and effort you're putting in. Have fun and keep posting.

Hey! Who else enjoys collecting the average Joe's? I'm telling you, the guys with only 1 card are the best to get.

Hey sometimes one card would be great...some of the old hockey players from the 40's and 50's didn't even get a card or a BeeHive so i have them sign a home made card with the team's logo on it.