July 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Three more returns today.
1. Troy Mallette signed 4/3 with a black marker that was too thick for the cards in 2 weeks from D-155 Burma Rd., Onaping, ON P0M 2R0. He would have a good sig if the marker wasn't so crappy. On the plus side, he did enclose a signed postcard.
2. Pat Riggin signed 3/3 with a black Sharpie in 3 weeks from 112 Fairlane Ave., London, ON N6K 3E6. The first marker he used was on its last signature but then the next two cards saw a brand new pen. He personalized one card and has a decent signature.
3. Paul Harrison signed 5/3 with a black Sharpie in 4 weeks from 5-215 Royale St., Timmins, ON P4N 8S7. He has a pretty good signature and enclosed 2 extra signed glossy cards of him in action with his O.P.P. (he's involved with the DARE program) info on the backs.
July 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Drew Fata , 14 days ,44 West Perth Bay, Sault Ste Marie, Ont. P6C 6B9
Uli Hiemer , 86 days , c/o Mc Donalds , An der Autobahn 4 , 91171 Greding , Germany
July 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
2 sad returns
My hopes are always high when I see my return SASE's in my mail but I was disappointed this time--twice.
I got back Stan Smyl on 4/4 c/o the Vancouver Canucks in just under 3 weeks. Stan, however, signed all 4 with a silver paint pen that had just enough ink in it to leave a trace of his signatures. Not happy with the results, he signed them again with a crisp blue Sharpie but not completely on top of the silver sigs. He has a nice enough signature but it looks horrible on these cards.
I also got back Bob Murdoch (not the former Blackhawk/Jets coach) on 3/3 after a 2 month wait only to find he signed all 3 with a silver paint pen. Silver pens should be reserved for hockey pucks and sometimes photos. Either a black or blue Sharpie would have been perfect for the cards--especially the blue bordered '79-'80 card. At least I got him and for that I should be thankful. He has nice signature and can be reached at 410 11th Ave. S., Cranbrook, BC V1C 2P9.
July 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM
only 1 today
Got back Paul Fenton after a month wait on 5/3 (I think--can't remember whether I sent 5 and said to keep a few or sent 3 and he added 2) with a blue Sharpie from 524 Laurel St., Longmeadow, MA 01106. He's got a pretty good signature and puts it on the lightest/most open spot on the cards.
July 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I sent my request to Denis Herron 9 months ago and watched as everyone else who got him after me did so in a matter of weeks. Finally saw my SASE with his name on it in today's mail. He personalized 3/3 with a black ballpoint pen on two and a black Sharpie on the third from 12841 Marsh Pointe Way, West Palm Beach, FL 33418. His signature is small and poor at best with a D___ H scribble.
August 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Mail back on schedule
I put my mail on hold while I took the family to the Wisconsin Dells last week. It resumed today and my backmail had 6 successes in it. So, here they are.
1. Rod Seiling signed 4/4 with a black Sharpie in about 4 months. I sent it to the old hotel address but my thank you card is going to Racing Commission address. He's got a decent signature.
2. Phil Myre signed 4/3 (enclosed signed Molson Export card) with a black Sharpie in 5 months. I sent it to an address in Canada but he wrote the FLA Panthers as his return address. My Canadian stamp wasn't cancelled so I don't know where it came from. He's got a great signature.
3. Bill Mikkelson signed 3/3 with a thin black marker from 47 Glen Meadow Cres, St. Albert, AB T8N 3A2. It took 2 weeks and he wrote a nice letter about being retired and how he hopes his kid plays for Anaheim this year. Good little signature on lightest parts of cards--especially the '74-'75 Topps/OPC.
4. Tom Rowe signed 2/2 with a black Sharpie from 38 Holly Hill Dr., Amherst, NH 03031. He took 3 1/2 months and has a large curvy signature. Unfortunately, he double signed one card with a ballpoint before hitting it with the Sharpie. He kept a card or two as well.
5. Mike Christie signed 3/3 with a bluish green Sharpie from 6093 S. Krameria St., Centennial, CO 80111. He took 3 1/2 months and has a good signature--even personalized one card.
6. Fred Stanfield signed 4/4 with a black Sharpie from his furniture store address in 10 days. He's got a fabulous signature that should be in everyone's collection and the model for today's players' autographs.
August 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
nearly a week since last return
Finally, 2 to report of.
1. Robb Stauber signed 3/3 in care of his hockey school in a black Sharpie. Took 1 week and surprisingly decent autograph for a recent player.
2. Mike Murphy signed 4/4 in a thin black marker from the NHL offices. Took 2 weeks and surprisingly bad signature for a player 20+ years retired. It's M scribble M scribble and a sloppy 7 underneath.
August 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
got home late tonight and had one waiting for me. After nearly a month, Hilliard Graves responded with 3/3 in black Sharpie from AMCA Sales Ltd., 100 Simmonds Dr., Dartmouth, NS B3B 1N9. He signs Hil Graves and has a decently legible signature and puts it on the lightest parts of the cards.
August 16th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Got back former Blackhawk and Canuck Dave Logan on 3/3 with a black ballpoint pen in 9 days from 142 Acorn Ln., Shelburne, VT 05482. He's got curly, weird signature and it looks ok on his only card--78-79 OPC.
August 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
While cleaning the between and behind the cushions of my sofa tonight, I found a returned SASE from Bill Sutherland that was postmarked 6/23/08. I originally mailed it on 6/09/08 so took about a month to come back. Upon opening it, I found that he signed 3/3 (2 with a ballpoint and 1 with a thin black marker). He's got a small signature that doesn't have the shake to it yet of someone diagnosed with Parkinson's. I can't remember if I sent it to 211-349 Novavista Dr., Winnipeg, MB R2N 3A1 or to the other address given in a thread called "Bill Sutherland". I blame my wife for the sofa fiasco and will no longer allow her to touch the mail. LOL
August 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Today's mail brought 3 more guys. Here they are:
1. Jack Egers signed 4/4 with a blue Sharpie from 24 Zinkann Cres Gd, Wellesley, ON N0B 2T0 in one month's time. He's got a good signature with a rather unique looking E to start off Egers.
2. Murray Brumwell signed 4/3 (enclosed signed Devil's postcard) with a blue Sharpie from 727 Tabriz Dr., Billings, MT 59105 in one week's time. He's got a good signature as well. He is currently a high school hockey coach.
3. Dennis Olson signed 6/6 (asked him to keep what he wanted but he didn't) with a black ballpoint pen from 521 1st Ave S., Kenora, ON P9N 1W6 in one month's time. He's got a good signature and even wrote a nice long letter. Played all of 4 NHL games in '57-'58 with Detroit.
August 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Got two good ones today. Brian Bradley signed 3/3 in blue Sharpie in 3 weeks' time from 6417 E. Maclaurin Dr., Tampa, FL 33647. The Brian is readable but Bradley gets lost after the B. Also got back Jim Johnson (debut 1964) on 3/3 in black ballpoint in a month's time from 354 Edward Ave W., Winnipeg, MB R2C 2H8. Perfect signature where everything is legible.
I don't write actors often unless they used to be sports figures but I couldn't help myself on this one. I got back Eli Wallach on a "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" lobby card in blue Sharpie in 1 week's time. He's got a great signature which includes a personalization and brief salutation. He's been in tons of movies like the above mentioned G,B,&U as well as The Magnificent Seven, The Deep, The Godfather III, and The Misfits. I googled his name to find an address in NYC. Better hurry--he's 92!
Last edited by Tarantulaman; August 23rd, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Reason: more info