Page 36 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Success

Good to know. Thanks for the response.

Balfour

Got back 3/3 in blue Sharpie from Earl Balfour at 71 Beasley Cres, Cambridge, ON N1T 1P5 after a 3 week wait. Great, legible signatures.

Loney

Got back 3/3 in black Sharpie from Troy Loney at 4245 Glasgow Rd., Valencia, PA 16059 after just over a month. Average sigs.

2 in 2 days

Got back Stan Weir on 3/3 in blue Sharpie from the Wika Instruments address after 3 weeks. Nice sigs worth getting.

got back 4/4 from Charlie Simmer in thin black marker from 70 Coulee View SW, Calgary, AB T3H 5J6 after a month's wait. Once again, nice sigs and definately worth writing to.

a good one to write to

Got back 7/4 from Noel Price in blue Sharpie after a 2 week wait from 21 Windeyer Cres, Kanata, ON K2K 2P6. He added 3 extra signed Molson cards and even answered a few questions. Really nice signatures as well.

2 IP's

I did a little research and found a few retired hockey players living in the same city within 3 miles of each other and about 2 hours away from me. Being the sane individual I am, I packed up the car and took off. First on my list was Hugh Harris (2 cards/WHA). I went to Greek Tony's Pizza--1732 E. 116th, Carmel, IN 46032 but his daughter said he only opens the restaurant so he wasn't there. He does have some nice photos and jerseys on the walls though. After eating there, I bolted to Ken Block's house--4901 Windrift Way, Carmel, IN 46033. He answered the door and was totally cool signing 3 custom index cards and keeping the 5 extras I gave him. We talked for a few minutes about former teammates of his and the new Indy Racers book and DVD. I asked if Al Karlander would be as nice and he said he just played golf with him and he'd be accommodating. So I went to Al's next--4940 Deer Ridge Dr. N, Carmel, IN 46033--and I was totally blown away by Al and his wife. She answered the door and was astounded anyone would make a personal trip to meet her husband especially in the middle of Indiana. Al came to the door and they invited me in. I tried to stay outside but it was useless. Once inside, I sat in their living room and we talked hockey, politics, education, the economy, you name it for the next 2 hours. Al took me to his basement/bar and showed me his first contract--a handwritten 5x7 note with facts and figures signed by James Skinner. He then signed my 2 hockey cards and 1 custom made index card and wished me luck as I left. What a trip! I'll be heading back down in a few weeks to get Hugh Harris with a trip planned to Andy Brown's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarantulaman View Post
    I did a little research and found a few retired hockey players living in the same city within 3 miles of each other and about 2 hours away from me. Being the sane individual I am, I packed up the car and took off. First on my list was Hugh Harris (2 cards/WHA). I went to Greek Tony's Pizza--1732 E. 116th, Carmel, IN 46032 but his daughter said he only opens the restaurant so he wasn't there. He does have some nice photos and jerseys on the walls though. After eating there, I bolted to Ken Block's house--4901 Windrift Way, Carmel, IN 46033. He answered the door and was totally cool signing 3 custom index cards and keeping the 5 extras I gave him. We talked for a few minutes about former teammates of his and the new Indy Racers book and DVD. I asked if Al Karlander would be as nice and he said he just played golf with him and he'd be accommodating. So I went to Al's next--4940 Deer Ridge Dr. N, Carmel, IN 46033--and I was totally blown away by Al and his wife. She answered the door and was astounded anyone would make a personal trip to meet her husband especially in the middle of Indiana. Al came to the door and they invited me in. I tried to stay outside but it was useless. Once inside, I sat in their living room and we talked hockey, politics, education, the economy, you name it for the next 2 hours. Al took me to his basement/bar and showed me his first contract--a handwritten 5x7 note with facts and figures signed by James Skinner. He then signed my 2 hockey cards and 1 custom made index card and wished me luck as I left. What a trip! I'll be heading back down in a few weeks to get Hugh Harris with a trip planned to Andy Brown's.
    Would love to be able to do something like that! Can't wait to see what happens with Andy Brown.

nice

Quote Originally Posted by Tarantulaman View Post
    i wouldn't have the balls to show up at someone's door like that. hell, I drive by Keith Allen's house a couple times a week, but i couldn't see myself walking up to the door and bothering him. I know a lot of ex players would be really cool about it like you experienced, and it makes for a great overall experience, but i wouldn't feel right about it. hell, i felt wrong for emailing 2 ex minor league players for their addy's on Facebook!
    congrats and all the power to you though, i wish i could do it!

average joe's

Guys,
    I don't visit big stars'/HOFers' homes, scouts'/coaches' houses, nor anyone else who makes plenty of public appearances. I try to pick the lesser known guys who i'd think would get as big a kick out someone finding them as I do of finding them. Of all my stops, only one was ever angry someone bothered him (no name ex-NFL lineman), and only 2 have declined to sign my stuff and even then they were polite and talked for a few minutes about the NFL and players they knew. Everyone else has been great. Two summers ago I stopped at a baseball player's house in Georgia after having gotten nothing from him in two TTM attempts. He was fabulous and signed my 3 items even inviting me back to visit the next time I came through town. You just never know and the worst they can do is say no. I probably stop at 10 players or less a year so it's not like I'm a serial stalker looking to get someone every day.

Finally!

Got back 4/4 in thin blue Sharpie from Steven Finn after 3 weeks from 8 Rue D'Anger, Blainesville, QC J7B 1M7. Nice, slanted signatures.

Got back 2/4 in blue Sharpie from Paul Henderson after just over 3 weeks from 1292 Whitewater Ln., Mississauga, ON L5V 1L8. Decent sigs and I didn't know he had a 1 per person policy when I wrote to him.

T-Man, I love the stories about going to players' homes and having the gonads to knock on the door. I think you may have a new twist on IP graphs! Continued good luck!

Thanks FelixCuJo. I'll keep you guys posted on any further trips--especially the one planned for Andy Brown and Hugh Harris.