Page 56 of 79 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Success

i want to know more unique articles from you,because you are a good writer!

Tarantulaman, great all around - on the water and on land!

Trantulaman I've been at this hobby quite a long time here but there's something I've got to know...
    You actually go up to some of these guys houses and ask for an autograph?
    I of course would rather get them in person, heck that's really what auto collecting is about. 85% or a bit more of my 1400+ different autos are IP's.
    Don't you feel a bit wierd there? Like it's like stalking or something.
    I got a few guys around my area that I'd love to go up to the house a la "trick-or-Treat" and just get em but... I think I would be invading on privacy or something.
    Not trying to be a bummer here.
    Mike Allison works as a border crossing agent?? Hmm.

Yes, Polarmist, it is kind of like stalking except that I don't follow them to the gas station or out to dinner or anything like that. I just go up to the door, ring the bell, and greet whoever comes to the door. If it is a family member, I ask if I'm at the right athlete's house and if he signs autographs. If the athlete himself comes to the door, I greet him and ask if he still signs autographs. I usually hit the normal to unknown guys and they are 99% flattered to see someone at their door. I had one old football player answer the door while on the phone with his wife and he told her he had to go because someone was at the door asking for his signature. She didn't believe and him and he said he was serious and then hung up on her. He invited me in, showed me his study with all his old football photos, and we chatted about the Chicago Bears for nearly half an hour. The other night, I got halfway up Bill Watson's driveway when he came out and met me on his stoop. I said, "Coach Watson?" and he replied, "Coach or Bill, it's all the same." I asked if he still signed autographs and he said sure and asked his wife inside to throw him a Sharpie. I had written the football player (Gary Sutherland) before but got nothing in return so going to his house was a bit intimidating. He came to the door somewhat suspiciously until he saw the football cards and marker in my hand and then he smiled, came out, signed my stuff, and talked football for 10 minutes. He then shook my hand and asked me if I had gotten Sean Hill because he used to live just 2 houses away from him. Like I said, I visit the average Joe's, guys who don't do shows, or guys who haven't responded to me in the mail. Yes, Mike Allison is a border guard in Ft. Francis, Canada. Shouldn't be too hard to miss with the red hair and all.

Thanks, Shelby, it was a lot of fun.

You know, it's probably all in the approach.
    Guys like us who are collectors and fans of them and the game probably come across well to them, once they see you are not a solicitor, bill collector, political pusher or survey taker.
    Love the stories you got also.
    I just probably would be leary about going in their house... That's just me though.
    Good on you there Tranch and have fun. Puck's going to drop soon!

Greschner

Quote Originally Posted by time2trade View Post
    I got an RTS on the Greschner:

Ron Greschner
    8389 Ironhorse Court
    West Palm Beach, Fl 33412-2422

Any ideas, thoughts, etc on getting him in the offseason? Will he sign via the Rangers on or off-season?

Cheers!
    It seems like the only way to get his sig is through his website. $10/per

http://greschnersports.com/

It's been a while

Got back 4/4 in blue Sharpie from Jean Hamel at 100 rue Gaspe', Asbestos, QC J1T 1N6 after nearly 2 months. He wrote return address on my envelope and included an unsigned postcard of himself as a Hab. Decent signatures.

Got back 2/4 in blue Sharpie from Andy Moog at 530 Rolling Hills Dr., Coppell, TX 75019 after 3 1/2 months. Nice signatures that are fairly readable.

Also got back 3/3 CIC's from Walt Ledingham's neighbor who got them signed for me by Walt following our talk on my recent visit to Duluth, MN. They came back 5 days after I dropped them off. Average signatures.

Got back 3/3 in black Sharpie from Lindy Ruff at 5006 Winding Ln., Clarence, NY 14031 after nearly 2 months. Nice signatures.

Got back 4/4 in blue Sharpie from Shawn Chambers at 9999 Wood Ridge, Pequot Lakes, MN 56472 after 2 weeks. Decent sigs on best part of cards.

Matt Greene
    c/o LA Kings Practice Facility
    12-31-09 --- 10-12-10

Good Luck-
    Pucks

It's been a while

I haven't posted in a long time but I've kept up with who's getting what back. Congrats to everyone and thank God the season has started again.

I got back 8/7 in blue Sharpie from Danny O'Shea and he hand-wrote a return address of 4064 Bellaire Ave., White Bear Lake, MN 55110. It took about a month. I sent him $20.00 and asked him to sign 4 items and keep the 3 others. Instead he signed all 7 and then thru in a signed/personalized b/w 5x7 of him on the North Stars. Signatures are average at best but he does include a sweater number.

Steve Mason
    c/o Columbus Blue Jackets
    10-13-10 --- 10-23-10
    8X10

Good Luck-
    Pucks