Thanks, I'll give it a try. :)

Glenn Hall

An RTS today, somewhat expected...

Glenn Hall
    Po Box 2483
    Station Main
    Stony Plain, AB T7Z 1X9
    Canada

If anyone has a working address I'd be appreciative, thanks. :)

Happy to get mail on my birthday.

Andy Bathgate - 3/3 - 17 Days

Thanks, Mr. Bathgate. :)

Quote Originally Posted by flames34 View Post
    An RTS today, somewhat expected...

Glenn Hall
    Po Box 2483
    Station Main
    Stony Plain, AB T7Z 1X9
    Canada

If anyone has a working address I'd be appreciative, thanks. :)
    I wish you would have posted this a couple of days sooner. I just sent to him at the same address you listed. I guess I can expect mine back RTS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kpriddle View Post
    I only ever send 1, rarely 2. I always figure I have a better chance of getting it back then if I send 4. Besides, what would I do with 4? I have no problem spending a little money or paying a fee. Once I get them once, I won't try again. Like it's been said though, people who have 6 or 7 requests, I would wonder too
    Just getting caught up in reading this thread...

You make an interesting point, I have been doing in person autographs since the early 80s, and TTM autographs since 1988. Over the years, either in person or TTM, I generally send out anywhere from 2 - 6 cards, or if I have a picture or magazine, puck, etc.., i may just have that one item and add a card or two. For, me I like having my items that I collect signed. Not that it is expected every player sign every item, but i like getting what i can signed for my collection. I agree, if you get one, you should feel lucky and satisfied with that, anything more is bonus.

For me i am generally motivated trying to complete signed sets or other hockey autograph projects like my Habs collection, Montreal Forum picture, or Hall of Famer's. So, overall I am one who does collect multiples, but i do it with one basic rule. I do not send out duplicates of any card, if i get 5 signed they are 5 different cards. Also, If I am getting autographs in person and it is somewhat a relaxed setting (not in a scrum entering the rink) I will actually ask the player if he does not mind signing 4 different cards for me and mention they are for my collection, or if time permits i even mention that I am working on get a set signed, or for my Habs collection, etc... I have had great success with this approach, no I do not mean everyone, but overall good fortune. Just this past April i went to a celebrity hockey tournament and got multiples from Ray Bourque and Guy Carbonneau, among others. Both have been traditionally been good signers for one or two, but by being honest with them Mr. Carbonneau he had no issue with the 4 cards that I had and Mr. Bourque signed my 8'X10' and the two cards that i had with me. Multiples are still Ok if you are in the hobby for the right reasons. In my mind, one autograph is all a player should have to do for the fans, but if they are willing to sign more for fans and collectors, not dealers, I see no problem with it.

I have written articles in the past on the hobby, hockey autograph collecting has become a part of me and something i truly enjoy. After a long day at work, i like write letters for TTM or organize the "Hockey room" that i have created in my home for my collection (and am very proud of the way it has turned out over the years). The experiences I have had and the great collection that I have accumulated are priceless. I really do not care about value, maybe rarity in terms of making a trade with someone for a rare autograph, or at an auction for a deceased HHOF'er. I am strongly against the basic selling of autographs, it ruins the hobby. Honestly, the hobby has deteriorated since the invention of ebay and before the autograph Giants started signing players to autograph signing contracts. There were not too many players that cared about signing multiples prior to 1995, that has changed. A lot are still great for more than one, but the thought that someone is just trying to flip their signature for money has slowly soured players, and true autograph collectors.

The hobby is still great but I wanted to share some thought on this subject because it is a very interesting one. It seems every player has a different feel about this exact topic, like we all do. I agree, in todays world if a players asks for some money for their autograph i am Ok with it as long as they are reasonable. But the truth is not many players at all cared about $$ for their autographs before the internet market started. I like hearing others thoughts on this subject, and the hobby in general, that is the main reason why i joined the site in March after years of reading these posts and threads. Anyways, I found this thread interesting and just wanted to share some thoughts.

Very well said

I started the hobby 2 years ago, I do not really care about the value of my items. I like the rarity or uniqueness of an item. I am so proud to display my Granby Bisons puck signed by Patrick Roy or Niagara Falls Flyers puck signed by Bernie Parent. His reaction when he saw the puck was priceless, he was walking around the lobby at the Wells Fargo showing it to fans and saying: "I won the Memorial Cup with them!!!" On the other hand, he snapped at me when I asked him to sign a Mikula replica mask. I later found out that there is some litigation between Mikula and a few of the goalies.
    I have several junior pucks signed by players such as Bob Kelly, Bill Clement, Bob Clarke, Guy Lafleur, Michel Goulet, Bill Barber etc. I can say that the players who signed the pucks IP were very surprised but happy to sign them.
    I wish I could do more IP but I live an hour away to the Flyers practice facility. I try to attend the Meet the Team event each year. Most guys are good at signing.
    I do not sell but will make trades and help fellow collectors who need a current or former Flyer.

Ed Johnston - 2/2 - 17 Days

Thanks, Mr. Johnston. :)

I just wanted to mention I agree with you both (juniorhky and brad4183). Happy to see like-minded collectors are still prominent in the hobby. I've been collecting since 1996 and haven't sold a single autograph. I've met some amazingly nice people and players through this hobby. I worry one day eBay, sellers and scammers will kill the hobby but until then I'm enjoying myself.

Well put junior.
    You are very much like me and probably many others on this forum.
    Yes I've enjoyed the hobby for some years now (IPs started in 92-93 season, TTMs about 6 or 7 years later) and have quite a collection.
    Hate the autographs for profit, internet etc. It somewhat ruins it.
    Just sort of retired from the in person part last season, sadly.
    I do not drive and by the time I public transit it to the arena (HUGE rush) I find I get next to nothing.
    The "money auto hounds" as I call them have to a point ruined it with the players.
    Back in the early 90's it was a lot easier and more plentiful.
    Yes, I too enjoy coming home after a stressing painful day of work and sit in my little den with all my collection and put together some TTM or sort the collection or open some good mail.
    Keep having fun Junior and all!!

Mario Brunetta - 2/2 - 13 Days
    Dana Murzyn - 4/4 - 21 Days

Thank you, Mr. Brunetta and Mr. Murzyn. :)

Quote Originally Posted by polarmist04 View Post
    Well put junior.
    You are very much like me and probably many others on this forum.
    Yes I've enjoyed the hobby for some years now (IPs started in 92-93 season, TTMs about 6 or 7 years later) and have quite a collection.
    Hate the autographs for profit, internet etc. It somewhat ruins it.
    Just sort of retired from the in person part last season, sadly.
    I do not drive and by the time I public transit it to the arena (HUGE rush) I find I get next to nothing.
    The "money auto hounds" as I call them have to a point ruined it with the players.
    Back in the early 90's it was a lot easier and more plentiful.
    Yes, I too enjoy coming home after a stressing painful day of work and sit in my little den with all my collection and put together some TTM or sort the collection or open some good mail.
    Keep having fun Junior and all!!

Good hearing from everyone, nice to hear about others experiences. This is a very interesting topic. A agree with Polarmist 100%, the "Money auto Hounds," are slowly eroding the hobby. I hope i am wrong, but it seems the hobby aspect of autograph collecting is taking a big hit from the dealers, and the result seems to be that we are at a tipping point for the worse. Anyhow, I hope all other true collectors still enjoy the hobby and the good experiences from it. I sure have, and hope to continue collecting for many years to come. Thanks to flames34 for starting the discussion. All the best.

Great addition to my '89 Flames Stanley Cup collection and my Flames captains collection:

Jim Peplinski - 4/4 - 22 Days

Thanks, Mr. Peplinski. :)