Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1960 Team USA

Quote Originally Posted by druce26 View Post
    I got my first return back from Weldy Olson. What an awesome guy! I sent him a 1956 team photo, as well as a 1960 photo. It turns out, the 60 photo I sent him was the prelim roster. He took the time to ID who was in the photo, as well as who they were eventually replaced with. He also wrote a nice note about the 56 photo, and included a signed 60 team photo that included the roster from the Olympics. Along with that, he added a couple of personal pics from his playing days, and wrote a long note complementing the pics that I had found. He asked me to write him back with the info on where he could find these photos, so I'm planning on sending him a DVD with copies of those two pics, and some other US Olympic photos I have. This was one of the great returns I've ever had, a true gentleman.
    That being said, I'm looking for a few more leads if anyone can help out:
    Bob Dupuis
    Larry Alm
    Harry Batchelder
    These are the three players that I believe may still be alive, and were on my prelim photo, but didn't make the team.

I sent my photos out to Bill Cleary, and sent LORs to Kirrane, Johnson, Grazia of Rodenheiser. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Great story and congrats. Good luck on all the others.

Good one my man!
    Even though none of them are former NHL'ers (all I collect) it is cool to see.
    Hope it goes well for you and you get all living team members!

I just got back from Bill Cleary, and I'm off to Dick Rodenheiser next!

I just got a return from Dick Rodenheiser after a week, off to Dick Meredith next!

Quote Originally Posted by polarmist04 View Post
    Did a quick bit of research here.
    Seems not a single one of these guys played any in the NHL.
    Looked up rest of living team members as well and no NHLers.
    Isn't that something.
    The 1980 US team had abunch go on to the NHL.
    Nowaday all US (and Canadian) olympic players ARE NHLers.
    That is crazy, you gotta figure even with only six teams a few of those guys would crack a roster, even if only for a cup of coffee

I think Jack McCartan was the backup goalie but didn't play in any games. He did however play 12 games with NY Rangers and some in WHA.

I believe he was also the backup on the 1956 team, as well. I had an address for him from 2009, and sent him a letter in early June, but as of now I have heard nothing back.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennel View Post
    I think Jack McCartan was the backup goalie but didn't play in any games. He did however play 12 games with NY Rangers and some in WHA.

I just got a return from Dick Meredith after two weeks. Off to Bill Christian next!

I just got my pics back from Bill Christian after ten days.

I got a return from Gene Grazia today after about three weeks. I also got my LOR back from Lawrence Palmer, and the Lawrence Palmer at that address in Delaware was not a member of the 1960 Gold Medal team. I'm at a standstill now, as I'm still waiting to hear back from Bob Cleary, McVey, McCartan and Mayasich.

I got 3/3 back from Jack McCartan after about 1 week's time.

2/2 back from Bob Cleary after 1 week.