Thread: Is the mail dead??

Is the mail dead??

Hey gang I know it is quiet on my front, one here, one there but pretty much dead in the ole mailbox.
    Shelby says same right Shelb.
    How about the rest of the gang?
    Are guys no longer sending much back or am I closing in on panic for no reason?? :)
    Recently been sending out a poo load so should be getting back something of a poo load (I'm not the swearing type folks) back right?
    Hope the works pick up for all of us.

Polar, I have been joking (sort of) by saying my mailman's collection is growing. I cannot believe how awful ttm has been the past number of months. I keep hoping that an avalanche of mail will come our way.

I'm doing about the same as always, but I rarely get a day where I have more than one return. All my returns seem to trickle in now.

Lets hope the trickle picks up Flames.
    I'm putting together my needs and traders list guys and will post it as soon as done.
    Maybe a few of us can hook together some trades.
    Then there will be those in the mailbox.
    We'll do some trading with Shelby's mail man!!

slow returns

Quote Originally Posted by polarmist04 View Post
    Hey gang I know it is quiet on my front, one here, one there but pretty much dead in the ole mailbox.
    Shelby says same right Shelb.
    How about the rest of the gang?
    Are guys no longer sending much back or am I closing in on panic for no reason?? :)
    Recently been sending out a poo load so should be getting back something of a poo load (I'm not the swearing type folks) back right?
    Hope the works pick up for all of us.
    been collecting 50 yrs now ,haven`t seen it this slow ,even in the early years.I think many are too busy to day to go out of their way,especially through the mail.I think it wiill get worse.

Same thing here. I sent a lot of stuff in the last few months and I received almost nothing

How slow?

Since I was moving last year I did not send any TTM. Decided to get back into it. Returns are at about 30%. Best I ever did was maybe 60%. One problem is the old timers are aging and the young guns want to be paid for everything. I never send money as I don't trust a safe return. So I'm only out the cards and stamps. Which still adds up!
    So, What are the percentages?

When I started this hobby 15 years ago, I was getting about 70% back TTM. Lately, especially since the season started, I am averaging between 20 - 30%. With postage going up and the success rates going down, sometime I wonder why I am still doing this. I still get excited every time I find returns in my mailbox so quitting will probably never happen. I understand everyone's frustration though... there is not much we can do about it. It's just a reality we will have to accept.

Alwaysawing, Aurel, and Golden thanks for the input.
    Your points are all valid and probably you've all hit the nail on the head.
    We've all been at this a long time and seen the change.
    "Always" buddy, 50 years! Really? Wowsers!
    I've been collecting since 92-93 season, started only IPs then maybe guessing 5 yrs later picked up TTMs.
    Some years sent a lot other years not so much.
    Here is the main point.
    I see that a lot of us guys send to a lot of lesser known ( we know them obviously) and even not known obscure types.
    These guys probably don't get a huge amount of fan mail like a Bob Hull, Guy Lafleur, Johnny Bower, Jean Beliveau etc.
    I can see these guys cutting back or giving up on answering.
    The lesser knowns you think would be pretty happy to even receive the fan mail and send things back the day after getting them.
    OK, that was long winded, sorry.
    Hey Always...
    Think way, way back...
    Who was the first autograph you ever got back??:)

It's been slowest this year for me as well. I've never sent out high volumes of cards because I custom everything and have to print and cut before mailing out. That being said, July and August were so dry a cactus could've died. It is starting to pick up slightly now, but overall slower than years past.

I'm finding returns hard to come by when sending to players in the US. Any other Canadian members find that? The Canadian players I send to seem to reply faster. I wonder if it has anything to do with mail being held up at the border.

I also wonder some days if certain players are reluctant to sign my customs that have patch windows in them; or if they are keeping my customs altogether (it has happened a few times, but quite rarely as far as I can tell). I think it is just my frustration with the pace leading to slight paranoia though.

Hope it will pick up for all of us!

I was going to add that point about the border thing.
    Thing is we have envelopes.
    You would only think packages would get held up at the border.
    Maybe if you mailed pucks that could happen.
    Today (right now 5am) instead of throwing together a letter or two I'm putting together my needs and traders list.
    Will post it soon.
    Maybe we'll get some action there if not the TTM scene...

OK
    Not totally dead, I actually got 3 today! WoW!
    Pretty surprised to get Randolph Robitaille there for sure.
    Still agree with all of you, waters are slow moving and not much fish in the net.
    I'm thinking about lessening my out put as a few of you have also hinted at.