Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada Post sad news

Canada Post sad news

Im sure you all heard about the changes, I wonder how this will affect the hobby, aside from the cost. Are as many players gonna be willing to answer mail from their homes if they have to go to a box somewhere to pick it up?

umm...
    Hounds, can you please elaborate here buddy.
    Hope we're not talking real bad news.
    What's up buddy?

I agree with you that this will have an even more negative impact on TTM. We are already finding returns slow. I can only imagine (understandably) how frustrated players will get if everytime they go to the mailbox, there are requests for autographs. The cost is certainly going to be an issue as well - anyone on here expecting a 33% raise in salary to match the increase in postage costs that are to take place in March?

Quote Originally Posted by shelby1 View Post
    I agree with you that this will have an even more negative impact on TTM. We are already finding returns slow. I can only imagine (understandably) how frustrated players will get if everytime they go to the mailbox, there are requests for autographs. The cost is certainly going to be an issue as well - anyone on here expecting a 33% raise in salary to match the increase in postage costs that are to take place in March?
    1. Community mailboxes

Over the next five years, the one third of Canadian households that receive their mail at their door will be converted to community mailbox delivery. This change will provide significant savings to Canada Post and will have no impact on the two thirds of Canadian households that already receive their mail and parcels through community mailboxes, grouped or lobby mailboxes or rural mailboxes. Community mailboxes have advantages for busy Canadians as they offer individually locked mail and small packet compartments as well as locked compartments for securely receiving parcels. The initial neighbourhoods slated for conversion in the second half of 2014 will be announced once plans are finalized. The transition is expected to take 5 years to complete on a national scale.

2. A new approach to pricing Lettermail to take effect March 31, 2014

Canada Post will introduce a new tiered pricing structure for Lettermail mailed within Canada, which will better reflect the cost of serving various customer segments. Under these changes, the majority of Canadians, because they buy stamps in booklets or coils, will pay $0.85 per stamp, with discounts for customers that use the mail most. The minority of consumers who purchase stamps one at a time, which represents an estimated 2 per cent of stamp purchases, will pay $1 per stamp. The average Canadian household purchases fewer than 2 stamps per month. These stamp price changes will take effect March 31, 2014

that covers it right there, and I am thinking that USPS will increase as well, so I bet it may cost us Canadians around $4 or more to send to the States with a sase, I am going to have to be more selective on what goes out.

OK
    Well yes, looks like the TTM autographing as we know it will possibly be in trouble.
    I remember some of you saying the drop in returns lately may cause you to lessen your send outs.
    This postal thing will sure cause that as well.
    I will surely drop off on my output.

postage

Quote Originally Posted by polarmist04 View Post
    OK
    Well yes, looks like the TTM autographing as we know it will possibly be in trouble.
    I remember some of you saying the drop in returns lately may cause you to lessen your send outs.
    This postal thing will sure cause that as well.
    I will surely drop off on my output.
    It will surley take longer,the signers will go to the station less often as i will probably do the same.When the postal system gets in the black ,you will see it going to private companys .The postage will be universal,the us. is going the same way.I think that the government wants to rid its self off the crown corporation and will succeed.I would think that my hobby has run its coarse after 50 yrs.Time to hang up the pen.

Just read today that they are stopping the sale of the P(Permanent) stamps as of today. They will only have monetary amount stamps for sale until March and then bring the P stamp back. This blows completely. It basically means that I must stop sending TTM requests until March as you never know how long a return is going to take. I have some returns that have taken over 2 years to get back. The (P) stamps were the best thing for TTMers for sure. I think TTMers are probably some of the only people left actually sending stuff in the mail. This will hurt our hobby immensely.

Good points herringtond.
    Hey alwaysawing. You ever think this would have happened to the postal system?
    You guys think privatization would save our hobby or make no difference.
    What's going to happen to the E-Bay world??

Well there goes my idea to stock up on the permanent ones now. Lucky me I have around 10 books already as I was stocking up when Rexall had them on for 10% off, so I can still send out with those. I love the USA forever ones as well, might also be time for me to stock up on those, I feel they will have a significant increase in the new year sometime.

Ebay is gonna be brutal for Canadian buyers, we already have to pay outrageous shipping cost for cards from the US from most sellers, this is not fun news for the hobby. I am glad my Dad retired from Canada Post four years ago, but I just hope his pension is safe.

They still have permanent stamps at the drug store near my home. Just bought 100

I buy my stamps in a roll at Costco. They're much cheaper than anywhere else.