Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada Post sad news

Last night I was watching the news and they were doing a story on these community postal boxes getting broken into.
    If all those with houses will be now receiving their mail in these boxes there is some trouble.
    These thieves are going to have a field day!
    Also I'm sure that to some degree the mail-ins that show promoters do for their shows will go down.
    Firstly we won't be able to afford the shipping costs and secondly we will be too paranoid about sending our items due to potential theft.

I live in a small town where we already have community mailboxes on every street. I really don't understand what the big issue is regarding the changes announced by Canada Post. It's not like anyone has to drive across town to get their mail. It's just a few minutes walk away from home. Mail arrives regularly and I pick it up as I pass by every day on my way home from work. As far as vandalism goes; it must be extremely rare since I have never heard of any such occurrences until the previous post. I don't think that the new system will have any real significance on the return rates from players. My only real concern is the price jump of the postage itself.

mail boxes

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSkates View Post
    I live in a small town where we already have community mailboxes on every street. I really don't understand what the big issue is regarding the changes announced by Canada Post. It's not like anyone has to drive across town to get their mail. It's just a few minutes walk away from home. Mail arrives regularly and I pick it up as I pass by every day on my way home from work. As far as vandalism goes; it must be extremely rare since I have never heard of any such occurrences until the previous post. I don't think that the new system will have any real significance on the return rates from players. My only real concern is the price jump of the postage itself.
    Are you a member of the conserative party of canada?,just ask your self what about the loss of jobs[THOUSANDS].?I would take it that your have a guarented income for the remainder of your life.That being said MERRY CHRISTMAS.

My comments were strictly in relation to the hobby. I take offence to being called a member of the Conservatives. I am not nor ever have had any affiliation with the Tories. I am a Union man and a card carrying member of the NDP. Although it is tragic that Canada Post has been stripped down, I was merely stating that the hobby itself is not going to die because of the changes. Please remember that this forum is hobby based and not a place to throw stones.

This got derailed a bit. Honestly, I'd rather not know anyone's political affiliations, etc. That's just me though.

I agree with Golden that the biggest change is likely the price increase. A lot of people we write to already use community mail boxes, P.O. Boxes, etc.

I agree with everything you said
    We have street mailboxes here too and I've never had a problem. Everyday at noon I go pick my mail and it's a 2 minutes walk.

The price increase is the biggest problem

Fellas, guys, let's not throw daggers here.
    I saw somewhere that the postage rates go up Mar 31.
    We got awhile yet so let's make the best of it.
    Don't know what I'm going to do next season, probably send out less than a third of my usual output I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by GoHoundsGo View Post
    Well there goes my idea to stock up on the permanent ones now. Lucky me I have around 10 books already as I was stocking up when Rexall had them on for 10% off, so I can still send out with those. I love the USA forever ones as well, might also be time for me to stock up on those, I feel they will have a significant increase in the new year sometime.

Ebay is gonna be brutal for Canadian buyers, we already have to pay outrageous shipping cost for cards from the US from most sellers, this is not fun news for the hobby. I am glad my Dad retired from Canada Post four years ago, but I just hope his pension is safe.
    It already is killing me on ebay. $6.55 to ship a 1oz padded envelope to Canada. It's insane.

Postage Costs

Yeah agreed the costs to mail items to Canada is ridiculous now. A small padded envelope is $5.50 and if you ship anything of value and you need tracking it's priority mail at a cost of $25.00. I unfortunately have stopped most of my Ebay business to Canada. I think it stinks to have to ship one Shirriff Hockey coin at a cost of $5.50.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim328 View Post
    Yeah agreed the costs to mail items to Canada is ridiculous now. A small padded envelope is $5.50 and if you ship anything of value and you need tracking it's priority mail at a cost of $25.00. I unfortunately have stopped most of my Ebay business to Canada. I think it stinks to have to ship one Shirriff Hockey coin at a cost of $5.50.
    To ship small items, I use bubble wrap from a roll that I use to wrap an item then put it in a regular envelope. You get all the security wile spending only 1.34 for postage.

out of context

My comments were strictly in relation to the hobby. I take offence to being called a member of the Conservatives. I am not nor ever have had any affiliation with the Tories. I am a Union man and a card carrying member of the NDP. Although it is tragic that Canada Post has been stripped down, I was merely stating that the hobby itself is not going to die because of the changes. Please remember that this forum is hobby based and not a place to throw stones.
    Just pulling your chain,,heh! i did wish you a Merry Christmas.Great to hear your backing of [union].Sorry if i have offended you.It `s the loss of jobs.Now that being said,on with the collecting.

Canada Post had announced the new rates for domestic postage but what about US and international stamps. Also, I have been hearing rumors that the US is also raising postage rates. Does anyone have any info on this?