Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Vs. Retraction

Expansion Vs. Retraction

Which U.S./Canadian city most deserves to have an NHL team that doesn't currentyly have one?

Which city should lose their team?

Winnipeg deserves one. The one that should lose theirs / is most likely would be either Pittsburgh and/or Carolina.

Cities Deserving of a Team: Hartford, Portland, and Winnepeg,

Cities That Could Lose a Team: None but if I had to choose: Phoenix, Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina....

Winnepeg, Seattle, and Portland all deserve one.

Dump Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Florida.

I'd throw Tampa in there, but they are deep in the playoffs and actually have attendance to their games.

I think Quebec City should be back in, perhaps if Salt Lake didn't pay off everyone in the IOC for the 2002 games the Nords would still be there.
    The 'Peg should have a team, as should Hartford (attendence looks low, but does not include private boxes for Whalers games), Saskatoon deserves something better than what they had in the Blades this season.
    Drop Pittsburgh (with Mario - high attendance, without low...)
    Drop Florida
    Drop Anaheim (LA only needs one team to not care about)
    JB
    ps - no team for Hamilton!! Plenty of tickets are availible in Buffalo.

Unregistered Guest
    Columbus has been around 4 years and has not yet won 30 games in a season. Get rid of Columbus and all the teams in the south. Attendance in hillbilly land is not good since income is low. Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Nova Scotia need teams. If Canada can get 3 or 4 more teams, the love for the game will be back and attendance will be back up like it is in Montreal.

That was a horrible stereotype. I don't care much for the south, but they are entitled to be able to enjoy hockey also. It makes me sick that you get enjoyment by cracking jokes at people who are less fortunate and have lower incomes. Good point jb, dump Anaheim, Disney has no place in sports and nobody really cares about the Ducks unless they're in the Finals (which won't happen again for a long, long, long time).

I think Hartford deserves another shot, too. I agree that Disney should have stayed out of hockey. It's almost like they tried to make a mockery out of it with "The Mighty Ducks"....c'mon.

I live in Grand Rapids, and I don't think we'll ever get a major sports team because all the dutch out here won't pony up more than $15 for a ticket.

You guys hear about the report today from the former owner of the Pens, who has built a new ownership group who wants a NHL franchise in Connecticut! Will the Whalers live again?

and don't forget the group in Winnipeg that has talked to 2 franchises (Pittsburgh, and the rumored Carolina) about relocation. So, the interest is there.

Unregistered Guest
    I don't like that comment by mr. unregistered. I don't think hockey belongs in the south yet either. But, why make fun of someones income you pampered rich boy. Pittsburgh will stay, they have a contract with mellon arena for 3 more years. Ticket prices are lowered for next year, the prices were assinine the last few seasons.

Oh yeah, that last post was mine. Forgot to log in.

I think hockey belongs in the south. San Jose has drawn extremly well since 91, Dallas is a great draw, LA, T. Bay draw well. In the minors Oklahoma City draws outstandingly well, and attendence in the CHL and ECHL in southern markets is strong.
    Nova Scotia is too poor for the NHL (Its ok for me to say this, I live In Halifax). We'll have a WHA team this season that will bring about 4 000 people to the rink, and never once outdraw the QMJHL. We may build a new rink here in time for the 08 WC, but we've been waiting on a suitible football stadium here for about, I dunno, 30 years. We can't even get CFL together, let alone NHL.
    Carolina, Florida and Anaheim are debacles, but there are a ton of pro teams in the south drawing well, with enthusisatic fans. A buddy of mine played in Winston-Salem of the SHL and Lake Charles of the WPHL and said the fans down there are amazing.
    Perhaps we should bring an NHL division to Europe, with teams in Stockholm, Helsinki, Prague, Bratislava, Moscow, Riga and St Petersburg.
    A selection of random thoughts by:
    JB